Black Bean Sweet Potato Tostadas
Black bean sweet potato tostadas recipe is easy, plant based, and vegan. The flavor combinations are unique and mouthwatering. Furthermore, beans are rich in protein, vitamins and minerals. Additionally sweet potatoes contain anti oxidants like vitamin A.
This vegan tostadas recipe is simple and delicious. Additionally the color combinations create a beautiful presentation for family and friends. For example the orange of the sweet potato really pops next to the purple cauliflower.
Purple cauliflower tastes the same as white but contains more antioxidants. In fact it’s the antioxidant anthocyanin that creates the natural purple hue of this vegetable. These are just a few reasons I love using purple cauliflower in this black bean sweet potato plant based recipe!
This particular vegan tostadas recipe gives instructions to make tostadas shells yourself. However there are a variety of brands of pre made shells available. Some examples of tostadas shells available at most grocery stores include Guerrero Tostadas, Mission Estil Casro Corn Tostadas, and Maizada Corn Tostadas.
This is such an easy plant based recipe that everyone will love
Total ingredients needed for this vegan tostadas recipe include 6 oz sweet potato and a 15 oz can of black beans. You will also need purple cauliflower, avocado, and some vegetable oil. Other oils that taste great are avocado and olive.
Seasonings you will need for this easy plant based recipe include lime juice, salt, lemon pepper, and chili flakes. I used 1/2 tablespoon of dried chili flakes but you can add your desired amount depending on how spicy you like your food. Lastly, don’t forget 12 small tortillas or tostadas shells and some avocado!
All you have to do to make this vegan tostadas recipe is bake the sweet potatoes and cauliflower, heat the beans, and add the toppings. Follow the instructions to make your own tostadas shells or buy pre made. It’s just that simple!
Black bean sweet potato tostadas
- Baking pan (8x8x2)
- vegetable peeler
- small skillet
- 6 oz sweet potato 1 large sweet potato cut into 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch pieces
- 15 oz black beans canned works great
- 1 cup chopped purple cauliflower
- 6 oz avocado 1 large avocado is plenty unless you want extra!
- ½ cup vegetable oil ¼ for baking the vegetables and ¼ for making tostadas shells
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp lemon pepper
- ½ tbsp dried chili flakes
- 12 small tortillas or pre made tostadas shells
- Peel the skin off your sweet potato and cut into chunks (1/2 inch by 1/2 inch)
- Chop up the purple cauliflower into smaller pieces (1/2 inch by 1/2 inch is also fine, you can also use white cauliflower if you prefer)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray a baking pan with non stick cooking spray (8 x 8 x 2 inches is good, I used a glass one)
- Lay out the sweet potato chunks on one half of the baking pan and the cauliflower on the other
- Spray the tops of the vegetables with non stick cooking spray, drizzle with lime juice, and season with salt, lemon pepper, and chili flakes
- Start baking (Bake them for 30 minutes and remove pan from the oven)
- In the meantime, bring 1/4 cup vegetable oil to a medium heat in a small skillet/ frying pan
- Use tongs to lay each tortilla in the hot oil for approximately 30 seconds per side (until the tortilla starts to turn golden brown) make 12 tostadas shells
- In a medium sauce pan bring the black beans to a simmer and stir, heat for approximately 5 minutes
- Evenly distribute the beans, sweet potatoes, and cauliflower between each tostada shell
- Top with avocado and more chili flakes